Northern Family Literacy
Training Support Program
We are looking for people to join the 2019 Northern Family Literacy Training Support Program. The 3-day training opportunity is on November 26, 27, and 28, 2019 in Air Ronge, SK, at the Pahkisimon Nuye?áh Library System Headquarters. After the training, participants receive ongoing support in creating or enhancing family literacy programs to add to the strengths in their community.
Apply by November 14, 2019. Funding support for registration and travel!
Looking for a poster to share in your community? Download the program poster here.
Who should apply? If you work or volunteer for a community organization in Saskatchewan’s north that works with families, this training program is for you! For example, you might work in a family resource centre or a friendship centre. We encourage you to apply in pairs or groups of up to four people from the same northern community (you can be from different organizations).
What is included? Thanks to support from our funders and partners, participants will receive training, resources, and ongoing support at no cost. Lunch will be provided each day of the training. There is also some support for travel and accommodation.
The selection committee will choose up to 16 people (in teams, of up to 4 people each, whenever possible) to participate in the Northern Family Literacy Training Support Program. The focus will on be on people who work or volunteer with family programs in various capacities.
What is Family Literacy?
Family literacy is the inter-generational learning that takes place through everyday life in a family, when families use language and literacy skills to learn, play, and work together in their home and community. Family literacy focuses on the role of parents and caregivers as a child’s first teacher, helping with language development and the intellectual, emotional, spiritual, and physical growth of each child. Family literacy activities help families build relationships, gain skills, accomplish work, and participate in their communities. You can find more information and resources on family literacy here.
· Tuesday, November 26th from 9:00am to 4:00pm: Introduction to Family Literacy Workshop
· Wednesday, November 27th from 9:00am to 4:00pm: Storysacks Facilitator Training
· Thursday, November 28th from 9:00am to 2:00pm: Supporting Early Literacy in Families
Through the Northern Family Literacy Training Support Program, participants will
- Enhance knowledge and skills that will help you develop and deliver effective, strength-based, family literacy workshops in your community.
- Build capacity in your community to provide quality family literacy programs that strengthen relationships within families through shared learning experiences;
- Help provide families with more access to family literacy programming that encourages parents and caregivers in their role as their child’s first teacher.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply, please send these two documents to the Saskatchewan Literacy Network:
· Your completed Application Form (at the end of the Word document).
· One letter of support (for example from the community organization or local government office where the family literacy program will take place).
Deadline for applications: Friday, November 14, 2019 at 11:59 pm.
Thank you to everyone who applies. The selection committee can only consider applications that are complete and in by the deadline.
Accepted applicants will be notified by Tuesday, November 5, 2019.
Send us your completed application by email: [email protected]
OR apply by fax: 1-306-651-7287.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Thanks again to the Saskatchewan Community Initiatives Fund for their support of this program, to the Government of Saskatchewan for their support of early literacy in families and family literacy, and to the Pahkisimon Nuye?áh Library System Headquarters for partnering with us to deliver the 2019 Northern Family Literacy Training Support Program.